It has been borne in on me this Sunday, specifically, that God is doing a Nu Thang in the congregation it is my privilege to pastor. There are a couple of instances that I could point to – I’m not inclined to name names, but just to rattle off a few:
- young people enthusiastic about participating in church
- a woman experiencing a new level of grace and joy in the Lord, so much so that she can barely contain it
- another woman, back from her vacation, and fired up about the call of God in the life of the church
- a coffee hour so busy with fellowship and camaraderie that I was barely able to sit down at any point
- new initiatives and plans bubbling away on a number of levels for the church and for my life
It seems to me that in this heady time of Easter, as the flowers are blooming mightily and the church is blooming apace, it is a good time to talk about spring cleaning, and renovation. From time to time, the Great Interior Decorator (that is to say, the God who has chosen to Decorate – make fitting – our Interiors) sweeps through the building that is the church and moves everything around. Carpets are cleaned, walls are repainted, workings repaired. And at the same time, that same God sweeps through and moves all the people who make up the Church around. Vocations are experienced and interpreted. Fellowship is created and enjoyed. New projects and new enthusiasms abound. What a time to be experiencing the new things that God can do – as Easter is sneaking up upon us, we can celebrate that our God is a God of Renovation, renewing us singly and in community. Glory be to God, who makes all things new!